Friday, October 5, 2012

Gumbo

Out of no where I got this cold...sore throat, achy body.....runny nose. My sister offered to fly from CA to MN to make me chicken noodle soup (which she make the best...) but I ended up making some Gumbo. This recipe is pretty easy to make, and prep time is ~ 30 minutes.

Here's what you need:

1 lb of italian or spicy italian sausage
Andouille Sausage
1 lb of fresh shrimp (uncooked)
1 green bell pepper
1 red or yellow bell pepper
6 cups of chicken broth
2 cans of diced tomato
1 TBSB creole or cajun seasoning
1 yellow onion
1 1/2 cups of fresh or frozen okra
1/2 cup of uncooked rice

A mini step by step below:

I make this recipe in a dutch oven- I'd love to get one from Le Cruset, but I actually got this one from Ikea for $19.99 and it's been pretty great!




Cook your italian sausage and andouille sausage

Chop your onion (and remember not to chop the "butt of the onion off" or you'll be crying...and add to the sausage as it's cooking. Also chop your 2 bell peppers and add.


Here's what the cooked sausage, onion, and peppers look like.


Add your 2 cans of diced tomato + your 6 cups of Chicken broth and simmer on low


Add your creole or cajun seasoning. If your seasoning has salt in it, go easy on it. I also added 1 TBSP of red pepper flakes to add a little heat.


When the soup has simmered on low for 45 minutes add your uncooked shrimp, 1/2 cup of rice, and your fresh or frozen Okra. cook another 30 minutes.
 ~*~ Kris

No comments: